"Could not open default font 'fixed'" after upgrade 6.9->7.2

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Fri Aug 3 13:56:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

After successfully upgrading Xorg from 6.9 -> 7.2 as per
/usr/ports/UPDATING I built a new xorg.conf using "Xorg -configure".

When starting X with the new config-file, i.e. "X -config
xorg.conf.new" it bails bails out with the following error:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

I've checked xorg.conf.new but could't find anything about a "fixed"
font.

BTW, when trying to run X without a config-file i.e. just "X" I get an
error

(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

Does anybody out there know what's wrong here and what can I do go get
X up under 7.2?

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald

PS: I've uploaded Xorg.0.log as well as the output from "uname -a; ls
-l /var/db/pkg" to

http://www.jenisch.at/Xorg-problems-after-upgrade/Xorg.0.log
and
http://www.jenisch.at/Xorg-problems-after-upgrade/status.txt