rc.conf startup dirs vs X11R6 symlink

Howard Goldstein howard at goldstein-pa.com
Thu Apr 19 15:04:23 UTC 2007

Brooks Davis wrote:
> Hmm, I can't decide if this is the right fix or if we should add a step
> in processing local_startup where we run realpath on the names and
> remove dupes.  I worry this is going to cause problems for 6.2-RELEASE
> users post switch so something we could apply as an eratta that would
> work either way might be nice.

ISTM ultimately if we're going to set X11BASE to LOCALBASE then it
really should come out of /etc/defaults/rc.conf but as you point out,
the wholesale removal is premature until we merge and before 6.3-R hits
the street.

My sh script fu isn't up to getting it out the door before the weekend
which should be enough time to meet a Monday UTC merge.  Unless someone
else fixes this before Sunday as you've recommended I'll put it on a
todo list for then and take another pass stripping dupes with realpath.

At the very least it needs to be disclosed, maybe in UPDATING if none of
the patches are acceptable, as at least a few common ports fail in
perplexing, subtle ways (Bernstein's supervise stuff for one (svscan),
samba for another)