ports/109497: x11-servers/xorg-fontserver rc.d/xfs.sh script missing "-user"

Stefan `Sec` Zehl sec at 42.org
Tue Apr 17 22:00:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 22:31 +0100, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 11:41 +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> >> Synopsis: x11-servers/xorg-fontserver rc.d/xfs.sh script missing "-user"
> >>
> >> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> >> State-Changed-By: flz
> >> State-Changed-When: Mon Apr 16 11:40:38 UTC 2007
> >> State-Changed-Why:
> >> I just checked and other OS'es seem to run it as root as well.
> >>
> >> If this is a real concern to you, just set xfs_flags="-user nobody" in
> >> /etc/rc.conf. I think this is what you're looking for.
> >
> > Please note that if you set "xfs_user=" to something, the default
> > rc.subr will already try to do something with it, and (silently) fail to
> > start xfs at all. I do think fixing this would be more user friendly --
> > besides, its only a two-line patch anyway, and it doesn't even change
> > the default of running as root.
> >
> > But if think it's important to refuse this change, I can certainly live
> > without that patch.
>
> This is not what I said, please re-read my message.

Ok. I did.

As far as I can tell, your message had two points.

1: Others run it as root.
2: I can run it as non-root if I want to by using xfs_flags=...

If that isn't what you said, please rephrase, as I must have
misunderstood you. Please be patient, as english is not my native
language. Therefore let me also rephrase my last answer.

First regarding your two points:

re 1:
- I'm not asking to change the default. So what other OSs run it as is
  not relevant.

re 2:
- If you still want to reject the patch I sent, I can live with it as
  users searching for it will hopefully find the workaround documented
  in this PR.

My additional points I was trying to make:

- If someone currently sets "xfs_user=" in rc.conf, this makes xfs fail
  silently. I think it would be great if it instead would just work.

- It is only two lines, so no bloat, and it won't hurt anyone.

Hope that clears it up,
    Sec
--
I know I've got it great, really, good job, good friends, loving family,
total freedom, and long bubblebaths. what else could there be?