Upgrade script

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Apr 16 00:53:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:13:00PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > I confirmed this on an attempted
> > > upgrade of an xorg 6.9 machine.
> >
> > What was missing from 7.2?
>
> libXau failed, followed by:

OK, this is repeatable.  What is happening is that when I kick off
portupgrade -a, xproto builds early and updates some headers (spamming
over the top of xorg 6.9 files), then some time later xorg-libraries
builds, and when it deinstalls the old 6.9 port it deletes the headers
installed by xproto.  Then things like libXau fail to build.

It still looks to me like removing all of the old xorg ports first is
the only way to avoid this kind of problem; this problem is general
and will probably affect other of the xorg-foo metaports too (i.e. the
files they used to own have also migrated into subports, so the same
thing will happen: the subports are installed first and spam some of
the xorg 6.9 files that are still present, then the metaport builds,
deinstalls the old 6.9 version, and deletes those files leaving
nothing behind)

Kris