HEADSUP for git X.org ports users: change of X11BASE

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 08:58:03 UTC 2007

Rong-en Fan schreef:
> On 4/14/07, Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> So there it goes, the patch to change X11BASE to point to $LOCALBASE
>> will go
>> into git shortly. Before further updating of your ports, you will need to
>> merge stuff that you now have in old X11BASE (/usr/X11R6 by default) onto
>> LOCALBASE (/usr/local by default). here's a suggestion how to do that:
>> - make a tar backup of /usr/X11R6
>> - extract that backup onto /usr/local with option to not overwrite
>> existing
>> files
>> - remove /usr/X11R6
>> - create symlink /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local for compatibility
>> (configuration
>> files, /var/db/pkg package database, ...)
>>
>> The above instructions are available in form of shell script here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~lesi/mergebase.sh
>>
>> Feel free to come up with better suggestions.
>>
>> What is now in this git tree (with the mentioned change) is pretty
>> much what
>> will go into ports tree.
>> If anyone plans on testing the upgrade from xorg 6.9 to 7.2,
>> "portupgrade -a"
>> or similar should do the right thing (preferably after merging bases).
>>
>> Do tell us your experiences, suggestions,...
>
> So, how do I have a correct package database in /var/db/pkg,
> i.e., s/X11R6/local/g

Write some other script? :-P  /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS has a line

@cwd $BASE

where $BASE is e.g. /usr/local or /usr/X11R6

so it wouldn't be too hard to change each '@cwd /usr/X11R6' to '@cwd
/usr/local'

Maybe portupgrade users would have to regenerate their /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db

> In addition to this, your script works fine here (I have been
> using git tree for some time).

+1

The only thing I saw was that these scripts ran twice:
* /usr/local/etc/periodic/security/410.portaudit
* /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/502.pgsql

and that makewhatis complained that /usr/X11R6/man (which is
/usr/local/man) already exists.

Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001