Which is rendering platform is best to use with Beryl?

Dave Grochowski grocho98 at students.rowan.edu
Mon Apr 9 01:19:39 UTC 2007

Hey,

Indigo 23 wrote:
> I am running the latest nvidia drivers (from the ports -- 9746), Xorg
> 7.2, and Beryl 0.2.1.  I was wondering which is the best to use for
> the "Rendering platform" option in Beryl.  I have the choice of 1)
> Automatic, 2) Force Nvidia, 3) Force AIGLX and 4) Force XGL.  I am
> wondering which would be the best to use? I noticed when I have it on
> Automatic that I cannot run other OpenGL apps while Beryl is running
> as it just forces me to kill X11 (the screen turns black and the
> computer becomes very unresponsive).
>
> Thanks.

I haven't been able to get the newest version of Beryl working properly
with the Nvidia driver. However, you might want to try fixing your
Nvidia driver install before using Beryl. First, you must make sure
X.org can see your Nvidia GLX modules. By default, they are installed in
a different location than where X.org installs them. Assuming your X.org
is install to /usr/local, you can fix it by:

prompt# ln -s /usr/local/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
prompt# ln -s /usr/local/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

Now, assuming you have graphics/mesa-demos installed, glxinfo will tell
you that direct rendering is enabled. If you test Beryl at this point,
it should partially work. On my machine, I get the effects but the
window manager is messed up beyond belief.

Sincerely,
Dave Grochowski