more notes on upgrading via wiki instructions

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 29 17:29:46 PST 2006

I went through the upgrade again to try out the various changes.

Once again, I used a basic PCBSD install as my base.

PCBSD doesn't have xorg-6.9 or the font, nest and print servers, so I
was able to ignore the first instructions.

Doing the pkgdb -F, rather than a libX11 -> xorg-libraries dependency,
there was one for libXft and xorg-libraries, which I removed.  It also
fixed a number of stale dependencies.  (I think that's expected, this is
after upgrading xorg-libraries.)

As per the new instructions, I upgraded xorg-server before going to
xorg-drivers.  Then, rather than the conservative way of installing the
entire xorg-drivers metaport, I just installed drivers for the video
card, mouse and keyboard.

I skipped the other conservative (I'm not using conservative in a bad
way here, careful would be an equally appropriate word) step of then
cd-ing to the xorg megaport and installing it.  After installing the
drivers, I went straight to the portupgrade of libGL and libglut.  As I
believe has been mentioned, there were problems yesterday with the
libglut portupgrade, but tonight, it was fine.

When this was done, I typed startx and everything was fine.  I really
might try this on a serious workstation soon, these practice runs are
making me feel it is pretty safe.

Thanks again to all of the team who are working to make this an easy
upgrade.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
shallow. Think of all the
poor people I could help with all my money.