the wikitest upgrade instructions

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 29 01:35:47 PST 2006

Scott Robbins wrote:
> As I mentioned the other day, I went through the upgrade procedure and
> found it relatively painless.  (The dependency loop that I ran into, I
> later realized, was because my eye had skipped the step to pkgdb -F
> after installing xorg-libraries.

Actually, I added this line to the wiki yesterday :-)

> I've now been playing with it a few times, seeing how many corners I can
> cut and still have it work.  As mentioned, rather than installing the
> xorg-drivers port, I'm getting by with mouse, keyboard and mga for my
> video card.  However, I notice that whichever of these I first install
> installs xorg-server as well, but doesn't remove the old xorg-server.
> I'm guessing that might have happened with the first installation as
> well.

All drivers depend on xorg-server. As I said, I'd rather ship something
complete (or give the opportunity to install only the necessary bits)
and remove what's not needed afterwards.

> I wonder if it might work better (I'm going to experiment with this too,
> in the next few days) to do the portupgrade -R xorg-server before doing
> the xorg-drivers.

My mistake there, just reverse them.

> I also found that I could, after doing the rest of it, skip the make
> install of xorg, which seems to install anything that was missed.  :)

Ditto.

> At any rate, at least on these PCBSD test installs, it installs
> xorg-server but leaves the old one in there.  Doing portupgrade -R
> xorg-server simply ignores most of the packages and skips the xorg-6.9
> package.

This xorg-6.9 package must be removed at the very beginning, I'm adding
this to the wiki as well. Thanks.

> Lastly, I repeat that I've been doing this on a PCBSD installation,
> as it gives me a running BSD with X in about 20 minutes, so it's quite
> possible that they're doing something slightly different than a normal
> FreeBSD installation.

Well, it doesn't seem that much different. Thanks for these notes. This
is much appreciated.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org