Problems with OpenGL & the NVIDIA driver

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Sun Jun 11 02:43:37 UTC 2006

I can't remember if I started to have this problem when I was using FreeBSD
5.4 or if it started when I upgraded to 6.1, but whenever I try to run an
application that uses OpenGL or possibly just GLX (such as ZSNES or going
into the GLX portion of nvidia-settings), I can see in konsole (for only a
split second, not long enough to copy) some X error, then X seems to die on
me, showing me my getty console, but the computer is unresponsive and what's
being seen is a view of getty prior to X loading.  Only way to resume using
the computer is to force a reboot by pressing the reset switch on the case.

I compiled the x11/nvidia-driver port with WITH_VM86_INT10CALL=yes enabled
(and WITH_LINUX being set automatically by OPTIONS).  I have disabled
FreeBSD's AGP driver in device.hints, and I have the NVIDIA driver set to
have NvAGP set to 1 to use it's internal AGP instead.  I do see a message in
my Xorg.0.log file about GLX not loading properly, but when I use xdpyinfo,
I see both GLX and NV-GLX on the list of loaded extensions.  X overall still
works as long as I don't run an OpenGL application.  Any ideas on how I can
fix this problem?  If more information is needed, let me know, I'll provide
it.

Naram Qashat