Xorg 6.9.0 & xkb problem

Hans Nieser h.nieser at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 22 15:35:41 PST 2006

Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've problem with Xorg 6.9.0. I think it's problem with Xorg and not with
> FreeBSD ports. But maybe someone can help me.
>
> On all my pc I use US-Keyboard, and because I'm french guys I need some
> caractere like : éèà etc...
>
> On my Xorg config I have
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "keyboard"
>         Option  "AutoRepeat"    "500 30"
>         Option  "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option  "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option  "XkbSymbols"    "fr"
>         Option  "XkbLayout"     "us_intl"
> EndSection
>
> and when I want type é I just need to type "'"+e,
> and when I really need "'" I need to use "'"+_space_
>
> Well after my upgrade from 6.8 to 6.9 this thing don't work. I've try many
> combinaison with all (not all of course) files in
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/
> but nothing work, my "'","^","`" etc... is not deadkeys.
>
> I've don't find elegant solution. I solve this problem by reinstalling the
> old directory
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
>
> in the new installation.
>

> I've similary message on xorg at lists.freedesktop.org but I don't know if
> that's problem is on the ports or on the new release. Or maybe it's not a
> problem but only a new kind of configuration.
>
> Anyone can help me ?

I too found myself unable to activate the US International keyboard layout
after upgrading to Xorg 6.9.0. With Gnome's keyboard preferences the
layout setting was just ignored (also, the keyboard preferences dialog
acted a little bit funky when I tried to change the layout, it would hang
  a few times and suddenly switch Gtk theme (!?)).

Then I figured I would just force us_intl layout through xorg.conf, but
that caused a whole bunch of xkb-related errors to popup when launching
Gnome, and it still wouldn't make it use the us_intl layout... (This is
very similar to a problem some time ago BTW, where it was also impossible
to change the keyboard layout and the same xkb errors were produced).

I'm about to hit the sack as I need to get up early tomorrow, but I
promise to reply with more info and exact errors later.