Problem configuring X server

Nick Chorley nick.chorley at xyphias.com
Sun Jan 22 05:16:39 PST 2006

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD 6.0 and can't seem to get a working X
server. My graphics card and monitor are an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256 MB
and a Samsung SyncMaster 753s, respectively.

The problem is that when I try to start the X server, I get a screwed up
display. There are vertical bars on the screen, some coloured in various
shades of green, some are white and are flashing.

I started off trying to configure the server using "Xorg -configure", as
detailed in the handbook. When I tried to test the server with "Xorg
-config /root/xorg.conf.new", I had the problems mentioned above. Then,
I tried running "xorgcfg -textmode" and going through the various
screens, but to no avail.

My next idea was to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf by hand, trying values for
HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section. Initially, I used the
ones that I use under Linux: 31.5-50.0 and 40-90 (seeing as I know they
work), but that didn't work. My monitor manual says I should use 30-70
and 50-160, but again, the problem persists.

In all cases, there are (many) lines in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log that look
like this:

(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (hsync out of range).

Any ideas on how to get a working X server? I'm also curious as to why
it gives "hsync out of range", even when I use the correct values from
my monitor manual.

All help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick Chorley