problem with starting xorg after upgrade

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 16:44:25 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:19:11PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:53:13 +0100
> > From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si>
> >

> > >   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> > > AUDIT: Tue Jan  3 20:47:02 2006: 30195 X: client 1 rejected from local host
> > >   Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
> >
> > This seems to be the trouble (client would probably be fluxbox or twm here).
> > The only notable difference to Xauthority related stuff seems to be that
> > startx now adds tokens to ~/.serverauth.<startx_PID> besides the usual
> > ~/.Xauthority file. Are you doing something unusual with XAUTHORITY
> > variables? Is ~/.Xauthority file of user empty when X is shut down? Are
> > permissions of /tmp/.X11-unix as they should be - somewhat like this:
> > drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  1 08:36 /tmp/.X11-unix
> > ?
> >

> As I said in my eariler email, there just seems to be something peculiar
> with this machine's onboard via card and X, causing problems with
> .Xauthority.
>
> I reinstalled 6.9 and found that I could eliminate the problem as long
> as I removed all .Xauthority files before doing startx.  An ugly hack,
> but it works.

Further addition to this--actually, as long as I remove ~/.Xauthority-l
and ~/.Xauthority-c, it works.  I don't have to bother removing
.Xauthority itself.

Again, I don't know enough about this to understand exactly what is going
on.  If Nakaji-san tried removing his ~/.Xauthority-c and -l files and
tried restarting and it works, then perhaps we're onto something.  :)

Have I, in the course, of this thread, thanked you for your efforts?  If
not, I thank you now, both for the help with this apparently oddball
problem and for your work in making the update patches.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class...you know, I'm not
thinking about class 'cause that would never happen... I think
about kissing you. And it's like everything stops, it's like,
freeze frame: Willow kissage.