Confused with DRM, DRI and ATI

Hans Nieser hans at nieser.net
Sat Feb 11 01:52:25 PST 2006

Owen Jeremiah wrote:
> After googling, I'm getting more confused. Could somebody be kind enough and
> post the thread with how to install DRM, DRI and ATI driver? My ATI Mobility
> Radeon X600 not resulting any drm0 message in dmesg.

I have the exact same question, more precisely; I've always been somewhat
confused about what exactly DRI, DRM and GLX are and how they relate to
each other and which of these needs to be configured in FreeBSD or in Xorg
and wether I can even expect to get any of it working with my Radeon 9700
Mobility (RV300 or something I believe).