some notes on a clean install

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 22 18:44:07 PST 2006

Today I grabbed an unused laptop at work, threw CURRENT on it and did a
clean install of xorg-7.x

Once again, I ran into that xkb problem.  This time, I wasn't able to
fix it the way I had--when the xorg-server upgrade hadn't worked, I
could just do it again with a -w to not clean, do a mv of xkb and fore
deinstall and reinstall xkeyboard-config.  Being lazy I tried that
again, but it didn't work this time.  Fortunately, SirDice had given a
more intelligent description of the problem, so creating a /var/lib/xkb
directory solved it.

I had installed just the basic fonts and got the same error mentioned
today, no default font fixed. I don't remember that one happening
before, but again due to the earlier post today, I fixed it (heh,
~fixed~ it, get it?) by installing font-alias.

My other problem was simply that Gateway doesn't document the specs on
their laptops very well, or if they do, it's not easy to find.  Even
giving the serial number on their support site didn't enable me to find
the refresh rates.  Very aggravating, but it's a Windows world and life
is tough.  I tried a few live CDs before I got one that was able to give
me proper specs--it was the elive Linux CD.

So it seems that there is a problem with the xkeyboard-config port and
also there might be a necessity to install font-alias.  (After I got the
unable to find default font fixed error, I gave up and install the
xorg-fonts metaport, but it didn't solve the problem.)

My thanks to others on this list--the developers of course, for all
their work, and also those others who post their problems (and
solutions).

I was able to get by, driver wise, with just the mouse, keyboard and
i810 video drivers.  I also just put in, as far as xorg-apps, twm, xterm
xauth and xinit.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Are you ready to get down, you funky party weasel?