Experimental X.org ports updated to 7.2-RC3

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sun Dec 10 08:09:59 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 09:24 -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Yesterday (or was it two days ago) I updated X.org experimental ports in
> > the git repository to 7.2.r3. I had some time yesterday to run-test them
> > and everything seems fine except two things:
> >
> > - type1 dynamic module has a missing symbol so it won't load properly.
> > - beryl doesn't seem to work with recent xorg-server/mesa/glproto (this
> > may only affect intel users though).
> >
> > The Beryl Project should release 0.1.3 soon and that will (possibly)
> > address this issue.
> >
> > Anyway, I will be busy this weekend so don't expect a fix/update before
> > monday.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> FYI,
>
>     I pulled the latest -CURRENT code on Friday (the 8th), rebuilt world
> and kernel, installed it all, and then did a portupgrade yesterday.  I'm
> now running 7.2 RC3.  Unfortunately, this bug is still showing up:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/106370

Unfortunately, when I threw my nVidia card in and installed the driver
from ports, I experienced a whole new set of issues.  I symlinked the
driver and glx module to the new locations and started X (with
gnome-session in my .xinitrc file).   After a few seconds, the mouse
cursor disappeared and X locked up.  I rebooted (from a serial terminal)
and tried again with fvwm2.  That actually launched without problems.  I
started glxgears and it ran.  I quit glxgears by hitting escape.  Except
that it never returned me to a prompt at the terminal and the process
hung (though the glxgears window did go away).  After a few seconds, the
entire system crashed (which also happens if I try to start another GL
application). I've tried with version 9629, as well, but encountered the
same problem.

Version 8776 works fine, though.

Adam