Package repository at rabarber.fruitsalad.org

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 1 01:09:13 UTC 2006

Ashok Shrestha schrieb:
> Somebody referred me to it on the Freebsd mailing list.
>
> Why is it discontinued? It seems like a useful idea to me.

It was useful while it lasted, but building and maintaining packages for
a couple of FreeBSD branches/platforms and hosting them required more
resources than we were able to sustain. We may at some point be able to
provide packages again, but they will most probably not be hosted on
fruitsalad.org.

That said, the packages built and provided by FreeBSD are and were the
preferred choice anyway - even though you might wait a week or two for
them to become available (which will save you however from possible
recompilations and re-recompilations as early adopters discover bugs and
ports get fixed).

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org