xfig hangs inside Xaw3d's DoLayout()

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Thu Sep 29 15:42:02 PDT 2005

On Monday 26 of September 2005 04:07, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!

Hi!

> I have just rebuilt my Xaw3d anew and built xfig for the first time.

Just to make sure - you have now Xaw3d-1.5E_1 and xfig-3.2.4_2?

> The program comes up complaining at startup:
>
> 	Warning: Actions not found: PlaceMenu, xMenuPopup
> 	Warning: Actions not found: PlaceMenu, xMenuPopup
> 	Warning: Actions not found: ShowNamedStyles, ZoomIn, ZoomOut, ZoomFit,
> Unzoom, PanOrigin, ToggleShowDepths, ToggleShowBalloons, ToggleShowBorders,
> ToggleShowLengths, ToggleShowVertexnums Warning: Actions not found:
> ShowNamedStyles, ZoomIn, ZoomOut, ZoomFit, Unzoom, PanOrigin,
> ToggleShowDepths, ToggleShowBalloons, ToggleShowBorders, ToggleShowLengths,
> ToggleShowVertexnums

These don't make xfig crash, however...

> If I click on *any* buttong on the left (text, or rectangle, or some other
> shape -- anything), the process hangs consuming 100% CPU. According to gdb,
> it is stuck inside DoLayout:
[gdb output snipped]

I can't seem to reproduce this with either XFree86 or Xorg on i386 or amd64. I
know however some have trouble with Xfig after Xaw3d upgrade and addition of
patch to Xfig. There is also related PR ports/86318.
From Changelog of Xfig 3.2.5 Alpha5 one thing that could remotely be related
is inclusion of wrong headers:

o Incorrect header files used for SmeBSB resulted in either segfault or
  none of the command panel entries being underlined

It's pretty far fetched that this could be the problem but just in case there
is a patch to bring this change at
http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/other/xfig/patch-headers
Could you please try that (by putting it in graphics/xfig/files and
recompiling xfig)? (I can of course send it as attachment if that is
preferable.)

> The XFree install is rather old: XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_7

I don't think this should matter.

> but
> everything else works -- libXaw.* are links to the libXaw3d.*. Xterm's
> menus and scrollbar look nice, for example.

I've tried also with symlinks in case that would make the difference (Xfig
links with Xaw3d so symlinks are not necessary for it to use it), but I can
still click on things and draw with Xfig fine.

The mentioned Xfig 3.2.5 Alpha5 has incorporated support for Xaw3d 1.5E (that
is now in ports) so I can send you a port of it if you would be interested in
trying if problems are fixed there. If nothing else it doesn't display
warnings about actions not found.

Dejan