nvidia X driver and OpenGL performance problem

Hans Nieser hans at nieser.net
Fri Nov 18 18:19:06 PST 2005

Hi list,

Recently I've been trying out games such as the Doom 3 demo (Linux
binaries), Quake 2, Quake 3 Demo (Linux binaries) and the new Quake 4 port
(also Linux binaries) under FreeBSD, and although they run without any
errors or visual oddities, the performance has been somewhat
dissappointing - they all run about 3 to 4 times slower than they do on
Windows and are hardly playable (except for Quake 3 / 2, but those
obviously require much less of the video hardware). This seems to be the
case with all OpenGL games / apps. glxgears with its default settings
(that is, I just typed 'glxgears' with no options) renders about 7200 FPS
on average.

I know I shouldn't expect things to run perfectly, especially since most
of these games are Linux binaries, but still, most people I've asked tell
me it should be able to run faster, and in some cases even outperform
Windows. Yet I can't figure out what is making these games run so slow for
me. I'm posting this here hoping someone can assist me, maybe there's some
magical tweak I can try or something I misconfigured. Or perhaps it is
simply not possible, but that would at least give me closure ;)

I have the following hardware:

Mobo:   ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS 1015)
CPU:    AMD Athlon64 3500+
Memory: 2x512 PC3200 DDR RAM, running at 400MHz in Dual Channel
Video:  Geforce 6800GT PCI-Express (non-SLI, just one)
Sound:  SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

I run 6.0-RELEASE with the following versions of related ports (all
up-to-date as I type this):

dri-6.2.1,2
gnome2-2.12.1
linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_4
linux-doom3-demo-1.1.1286
linux-quake3-demo-1.11.6_4
linux-quake4-1.0.5,1
linux-sdl-1.2.5_2
linux_base-8-8.0_9
linux_dri-4.4.0
nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1
nvidia-settings-1.0_6
quake2lnx-0.16.2_1
svgalib-1.4.3_5
xorg-6.8.2

I have logs of Doom 3 / Quake 4 / Xorg startup, installed ports, my
xorg.conf, an error I get when launching Doom3/Quake (ttyv0.txt), and my
kernel config (MYKERNEL) attached. As far as I can tell I have installed
everything according to the handbook chapter on X and read the README for
the nvidia FreeBSD driver (although I skipped most steps relating to AGP
since I have a PCI Express card).

PS: I have the logs/configs mirrored at http://nieser.net/files/xorg/1/
incase they are stripped off by the maillinglist.

PS2: My xorg.conf contains two lines RenderAccel / AllowGLXWithComposite
which I believe are experimental, but I had the same issues before I added
these.