xorg-clients conflicts with xterm (patch)

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Thu Nov 17 11:38:43 PST 2005

On Thursday 17 of November 2005 01:42, James Long wrote:
> The following may help reproduce it.  Below is the state of my pkgdb at the
> time of my troubles.

Unfortunately it doesn't. It makes me even more confused. You don't have xterm
or xorg-clients installed. Portupgrade tries to install xterm first and there
are no xorg-clients installed at all. How can it then conflict with them...

> Take a system with a good install of xorg and xterm.  Then 'pkg_delete -f'
> xorg-clients and xterm.  Then try to 'portupgrade -NO' them back in.
> I don't know for sure if that will reproduce the problem or not, but its
> a close approximation of where I was when I was having troubles.

It sucessfuly installs xterm and -clients. 'portupgrade -wONk xorg-clients'
also went fine. Is in /var/db/pkg only one directory that starts with
xorg-clients (or none after deinstall)? FWIW 'portupgrade -f xterm
xorg-clients' also works with both of them installed...

> More pointedly, what is up with this message:
>
> ===>   xorg-clients-6.8.2_1 depends on package: xterm>0 - not found
>
> Is there really a package named "xterm>0" ?

Sure. It's xterm that has version bigger than 0 - so any xterm would do. It's
not quite yet documented feature that got added in June (there's entry about
it in CHANGES file - 20050609). It seemed perfect for this occasion, because
depending on xterm or xterm-static executable was not desired.

[snip]
> ===>  Installing for xorg-clients-6.8.2_1
> ===>   xorg-clients-6.8.2_1 depends on package: xterm>0 - not found
> ===>    Verifying reinstall for xterm>0 in /usr/ports/x11/xterm
> ===>  Installing for xterm-206_1
>
> ===>  xterm-206_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>       xorg-clients-6.8.2

And again, above is what confuses me - you don't have xorg-clients installed
yet so why would installing xterm complain about installed conflicting
xorg-clients. I wouldn't want to trouble you more but it would be interesting
to know the contents of /var/db/pkg at that time.

Dejan