FreeBSD 6.0 Stable with 3dfx voodoo3

Michael Bowerman michael.bowerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 05:08:31 PST 2005

I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue or an Xorg issue. Maybe someone could
point me in the right direction.

I recently upgraded to FreeBSD 6.0 stable on one of my boxes. It was working
with Gnome on 5.4 perfectly fine. But, after the upgrade, it gives a black
screen, hangs, then reboots. I noticed that it says something about a kernel
panic causing reboot.

I thought that maybe I screwed something up, since this was my first freebsd
upgrade. So, I reinstalled (and repartitioned) the whole OS from the cd. I
was able to reach the terminal just fine. But, as soon as I enabled Gnome,
It locked again and then rebooted. I'm pretty sure that the Xorg.conf file
is set up correctly.

I think the problem has something to do with the 3dfx card, because it's
been a big trouble for me (that's why it is on my test box).

Thanks in advance,
Mike