Problems with new ATI card

Phillip Neiswanger sigsegv at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 25 00:16:36 PST 2005

Hello,

I recently acquired an ATI FireGL 8800 card to replace my Voodoo 5500 card
which had various problems when I last tried to do hardware rendering.  I
am not having any luck with my new card either, so I have some questions.
Before I get started I will note that I run FreeBSD 4.9 with the latest
XFree86 4.4.0 packages and my cpu is an AMD Athlon classic running at
850Mhz.

Here are my questions:

1.  Usually when a system boots the video cards displays some info about
itself.  Right now my ATI card is silent.  Does anyone know how to get the
card to display the info?

2.  When the system boots I like displaying one of those FreeBSD splash
screens.  With the new card this is no longer happening.  I get the
following messages during boot.

> Preloaded elf module "splash_bmp.ko" at 0xc03af0ec.
> Preloaded splash_image_data "/boot/splash.bmp" at 0xc03af190.
> VESA: v2.0, 131072k memory, flags:0x1, mode table:0xc02f7cc2 (1000022)
> VESA: ATI Fire GL 8800
> Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
> splash_bmp: No appropriate video mode found
> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (splash_bmp, c035f77c, 0) error 19

Why is the splash_bmp module unable to find an appropriate video mode?

3.  I am at this time unable to get hardware rendering working on my
system.  According to the XFree86.0.log file, hardware rendering is
disabled after the server attempts to open the file /dev/dri/Card0.  No
such device exists.  I believe this is due to not having a drm driver
loaded in the kernel.  However, there doesn't appear to be any drm modules
in the 4.9 kernel source and the only prepackaged drm drivers I've found
are in the package drm-kmod-0.9.6.  This package has linux drivers only
and requires the linux module to be loaded.  Loading the radeon driver
 from that package does not solve the problem.  The Card0 device still does
not exist in the /dev/dri directory.  Aren't there any native 4.9 drm
drivers?  A couple of years ago when I was working with my Voodoo such
drivers existed.  Where can I find them now?  During the boot I load the
drivers just prior to starting xdm.  Is this the appropriate time to load
the modules?  I seem to remember reading someplace that it's better to get
them loaded earlier.  Where do I do that?

That's my questions at the moment.  Looking forward to any helpful hints
you might have.
--
phil