Changing the X boot screen

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Mon Jun 13 11:53:45 GMT 2005

On Monday 13 of June 2005 03:55, Bryan Maynard wrote:
> Hey I was just wondering if there is any way to change the background when
> X boots. I am running KDE and using KDM. I'm not sure if this is an X11
> issue for a KDM one. I'd like to have a black background instead of the
> cross pattern.

Kind of both :)
It's a question of how KDM starts X. You should have a
file /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and in there is a command to start X
server in (at least here) [X-:*-Core] section which looks here somewhat like
this:

[X-:*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=All
NoPassEnable=false
NoPassUsers=
ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
ServerCmd=/usr/X11R6/bin/X

Now, running 'X -help' will show you interesting arguments you can specify to
X. The one that matters here is

-br                    create root window with black background

So you need to put that argument at the end of ServerCmd or ServerArgsLocal
line (I only tried ServerCmd one, but it probably shouldn't make a
difference).

Dejan