New compaq, new radeon id

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Jul 21 00:12:37 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 20:04 -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 July 2005 06:03 am, Pete Carah wrote:
> > I have a new compaq (AMD64 Turion) with what is supposedly a mobile
> > radeon 9200.   It isn't recognized anywhere (agp, drm, x-server)
> > and has an id of 1002 5955.
>
> It seems to be Radeon® Xpress 200M:
>
> http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=10025955
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/index.html
>
> It is not Mobility Radeon® 9200 (RV280).  I heard it's based on X300
> (RV350) but not sure.  FYI, it's codenamed as RS480.  As far as AGP
> concerned, can you send me 'pciconf -lv' output?
>
> > I find it interesting that most of the pci infrastructure in the
> > machine has a vendor id of 1002; I didn't know that ATI made
> > processor chipsets.. (this even includes the usb chips too)
>
> :-)
>
> > I think I can see how to add this to the radeon driver but am not
> > totally sure...  I presume it has to be in either agp or drm also?
>
> If you just want 2D, you have to patch xorg-server.  If you want to
> experiment on 3D accel, all of the above.  And maybe DRI also.

Actually, if you just want 2d, xorg-server-snap should support it.

For 3D, I'm guessing that, like other RS* chipsets, it's going to need
agp_ati.c to work.  agp_ati.c should be nearly working (see i386/75251),
I'm guessing there's just some bug left to be fixed, probably by someone
with hardware.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org