Changing the X boot screen

Bryan Maynard bryan.maynard at reallm.com
Tue Jul 5 05:46:03 GMT 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 03:13 am, Andrew J Caines wrote:
>Bryan,
>
>> Hey I was just wondering if there is any way to change the background when
>> boots.

>Using age old native X tools:

># xsetroot -solid black

>Other graphical tools and tools distributed with window managers and desktop
managers have the ability to do the same thing, or to put pretty pictures and
patterns in the root window, eg.

># xv -max -smooth -root -quit background.png
># bsetbg -tile brick.png
># wmsetbg -e photo.png

>Add this to your .xinitrc or .xsession to have it run during startup.

I looked for my .xinitrc and .xsession files and didn't find them. Is there
anywhere specifically I should look? Can I create the file myself, and if I
can which file should I create and where? Is there anything besides the "xv"
line that needs to be put in the file (I installed xv from ports)?

  > I am running KDE and using KDM. I'm not sure if this is an X11 issue for
  > a KDM one.

>It's an X root window pattern issue, however just about all window managers
and desktop managers have options to set root windows, though some make it
much more complicated than necessary.

>> I know this may be a silly and simple question, I'm sorry. I just didn't
know
>> where else to ask. . . :-(

>See X(7) in the EXAMPLES section, for example.

I tried "man X" and was told there was no manual entry for X.

>-Andrew-

Thanks,

Bryan
--
Open Source: by the people, for the people.