Is radeon generic driver broken ?

carlo.matteotti at bluewin.ch carlo.matteotti at bluewin.ch
Tue Jan 25 03:30:29 PST 2005

Hello all,

im using the latest xorg port on my FreeBSD-5.3-STABLE machine. The box has
a RADEON X600 graphic card. The generic radeon driver used to work properly
until I portupgraded xorg* two or three days ago. Since then X freezes the
machine immediately after 'startx' ( X fires up and then freezes the hole
box completely). I portupgraded again xorg* last night but the same problem
remains.
I read in  bugreports at bugzilla.org that people used to have similiar problems
with the radeon driver.
But, if I change the 'radeon' driver entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the generic
'vesa' then X works propely but just at a fixed Horizontal frequency of 76Hz
which is slightly suboptimal.

I can live with this solution but here is my (maybe stupid) question: Could
it be harmful to the graphic chip, when using an incorrect driver ?

Many thnakns for any reply

Carlo.