X11 device detection issue

H Q ecomeasurement at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:52:03 PST 2005

Hi,

I've installed FreeBSD on my desktop, and it works fine. I'm trying to
install XFree86, and the configuration and resulting log look fine, except
for "No devices" detected, and "No screen".  I checked the  documentaion and
FAQ's both here and on the XFree86 site, along with the archived bugs and
letters, and couldn't find an answer. As I/O has not been established for
the BSD machine, below I indicate the hardware and software, configuration
used for the Config file, and the relevant results from the log file (the
remainder of the log file indicated proper loading of everything else):

XFree86 V11, Revision 0, Rel 6.6
FreeBSD 4.10 i386

Intel Pentium II 266 MHZ/256MB RAM/4 MB Video Ram
Intel 440 Chipset
Dell M570 VGA Monitor
NVIDIA AGP Integrated Graphics Card
Chromatic MPACT DVD/Display Controller

I used the scripted configuration facility in sysinstall, and then verified
the contents of the Config file:

NVIDIA generic card chosen (suitable for AGP cards), "nv"
Monitor cycling set to the industry standards given by explicitly
downloading specs, and also verifying manually via the CRT:
HorizSync: 31.5-82
VertRefresh 40-150
Generic VGA
Default Depth 24

When running, I get the errors:
"(EE) No devices detected"
"Fatal server error: no screens found",
followed by a breaking of the X connection and two copies of the following:
"xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command" --probably due
to X crashing

Now, in the log file, the NV driver is loaded, with the following final
result:
"(EE) No devices detected"
"Fatal server error: no screens found"
There are no other errors or warnings in the log file, except for an
unavailable font that was skipped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.