ports/76115

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Jan 12 15:40:32 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR ports/76115; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Anholt <eta at lclark.edu>
To: gnats <freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: ports/76115
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:39:58 -0800

 I and another developer have failed to reproduce this on the sample
 image you provided in firefox or the gimp.  This suggests that those
 programs are simply failing when they meet an unexpected resource
 shortage that we aren't experiencing, which would be just what a
 BadAlloc would be returned for on a very large image.  Given that these
 errors are rare under normal circumstances, it's understandable that
 applications tend to fail when they occur, but that doesn't change that
 it is the application's fault for not handling them.  Thus, these errors
 should be taken up with the upstream of those applications, unless it
 can be shown that this clearly doesn't occur with different versions of
 X and is a new regression (but again, WORKSFORME).

 Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
 http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org