more libICE directory creation

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Mon Jan 10 15:19:03 PST 2005

On Monday 10 of January 2005 23:43, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
> | (Just found out about this list from lesi@)
> |
> | After several rounds of proposed solutions to the X11 libICE problem,
> | lesi suggested that we just put the .ICE-unix directory creation in
> | cleartmp as was first proposed.  Putting a script in ports would be
> | doable, but adds more complications, and we've already got X11 pieces in
> | cleartmp.  While preparex11 taking over this job might be cleaner, it's
> | easier to just add it to cleartmp and not make the directory creation
> | optional (it's one inode, which we'd waste just the same by making a
> | preparex11 script).
> |
> | Does anyone have an issue with this?  I'm planning on doing it tomorrow
> | unless there's an uproar.
>
> The only issue I have is that this doesn't help -RELEASE users
> (specifically 5.3-RELEASE users).  I suppose this would work if we added
> it to the errata branch, but for pure -RELEASE users they still won't
> have a fix.
>
> Joe

A short rc script can be added to both -libraries ports (as they are the first
in X11 dependencies so we get the script as soon as possible) as a temporary
transition workaround. If the __FreeBSD_version is bumped at time when
cleartmp is updated, we can install it based on that. And by short I mean
something like this:

/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/000.ICEtmp.sh:
#!/bin/sh
rm -fr /tmp/.ICE-unix
mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

Hm, I don't know if that would be OK, but given the shortness of this and that
the versions of X.Org/XFree86 in last releases are not so strict about this,
this could be put into UPDATING and avoid putting two scripts in ports, but I
don't know if this is acceptable.

Dejan