downgrading xorg to xfree86

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Tue Jan 4 07:27:54 PST 2005

On Tuesday 04 of January 2005 11:39, Phil Brennan wrote:
> Hi,
> I upgraded to xorg 6.8.1 last night ( fbsd 5.2.1 ). It was crashing
> all over the place, and since it is a production server, I don't have
> that much time to fix it, especially since its a non-essential
> upgrade. So, I downgraded to xfree86-4.4, following the reverse
> procedure:
> 1) downgraded imake to v4
> 2) removed all xorg packages
> 3) changed make.conf X_WINDOW_SYSTEM
> 4) built, installed Xfree86-4
>
> Now, when I startx, it is looking for libXaw.so.8 , which is part of
> xorg. If I link libXaw.so.8 to libXaw.so.7, twm/mwm both crash.
> Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

You will need to recompile everything that was linked to libXaw so it picks up
version 7. In your startx startup script, you probably have something linked
to libXaw that fails and with it startx. I'd guess that it is xterm perhaps?
in that case recompile xterm (it is standalone port now) with xfree86's imake
and libraries.

Dejan