locale support by Xlib - X configuration on Ultra2

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Sun Feb 6 01:55:01 PST 2005

On Saturday 05 of February 2005 20:21, Michael G. Jung wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm attempting to get X working on Ultra2 - With many thanks
> to Marcel Moolenaar <marcel at xcllnt.net>, I was able to
> get keyboard support working on both Ultra2 and Ultra1-E
> using 6.0-CURRENT.
>
> For X I'm using a serial mouse which seems to work fine,=20
> however the keyboard does not function as expected
> within X applications like Kword, xterm, etc.
>
> Keys on the keyboard produce incorrect but=20
> consistent key patterns on the screen.  For
> example in xterm the key"4" always produces=20
> "ff", key "5" produces "fg", key "6" produces=20
> "fh" etc.

Would that be similar to this?:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2004-August/002036.html
If so, there's one thing that, while not a proper solution, should work: in
x11-servers/xorg-server port directory modify scripts/configure so it
includes the line
echo "#define UseDeprecatedKeyboardDriver YES"  >> $LOCALDEF
after other similar lines. Then recompile xorg-server and replace 'kbd' driver
with 'keyboard' driver in xorg.conf and try if it works.
The proper solution would be to fix kbd driver in same manner that keyboard
driver is...

> When I started firing off xterm on a remote machine
> targeting the sun's local DISPLAY I got the messages:
>
>  Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>  Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
>  Failed to open input method
>
> Which if I get it right means that Xlib doesn't know how
> to map the keyboard for my locallity set by the variable
> LANG ??

No, keyboard layouts are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb under FreeBSD. Xlib should
support locales that are under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale.

Dejan