X.Org ports upgrade to 6.9 release

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Sun Dec 25 11:40:15 PST 2005

As you might already know, new X Window System has been released by X.Org a
couple of days ago. There are two alternative build systems - release 6.9 is
build as previous and as is expected by current ports so upgrading to this
one should be less trouble. X.Org 7.0 release is split up into many separate
packages and uses autotools instead of imake, which will require some
restructuring of ports and will probably take a while.
That is why I think X.Org ports could be first upgraded to 6.9 so we get the
features, bugfixes, driver updates sooner as well as new way of loading
modules which will avoid breaking X server for amd64 users after new malloc
is imported in CURRENT.
Anyhow, the first cut of patch for ports tree to upgrade X.Org ports to 6.9.0
is here:
http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/xorg/xorg-69/xorg-up-690-1.patch
It also does away with separate mtree file for xorg-* and dependent ports so
it touches a few of other ports as well.
Things work well so far on amd64 with NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT.

Dejan