xdm works well, but kdm doesnot, why?

Arnold Lee arnoldlee_cn at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Dec 5 23:19:20 PST 2005

  Hi, everyone! I used xdm in my FB box (Freebsd 6.0), and I've modified Xaccess , xdm-config,  and /etc/ttys to make it autostart at boot, so I can now access Xwindow successfully in my win2000 computer with Xwin32 6.1. Now I wanna use kde, and then modified /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xaccess(to make it accept request from any address), /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc(to enable xdmcp), /etc/ttys(use kdm instead of xdm). But , It doesnot work!
  When I opened xwin32(use xdmcp mode), the window splashed and then disappeared! I googled for this problem , someone said that I should use single-window mode(xwin32's window mode). I tried, and the window does appear, but no login window shows. It seems that the xwin32 is waiting for something. I changed back to xdm, it is then ok too. What is wrong with kdm?

  ps: I use "pkg_add -r kde" to install kde 3.4.3. My bsd is fb6.0. Client is win2000+ xwin32 6.1