Error activating XKB configuration.

Michael Bowerman michael.bowerman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:06:15 PST 2005

All,

I'm sure that someone else has had this problem.  But, I couldn't find much
information on a workaround.

I did a quick search and I found this ubuntu forum:

But, that doesn't seem to apply since I have only a 'us' keyboard.
Everything works just fine with the same hardware on my linux box with
gnome.  I've had this problem on previous versionsof FreeBSD.  But, I wasn't
using X on this system in the past.  So, I never bothered to track down a
solution (either bug, or user error, or both).

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60802000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of <b>xprop -root | grep XKB</b>
- The result of <b>gconftool-2 -R
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd</b>

$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
$ uname
FreeBSD
$ uname -r
6.0-STABLE

I can include my xorg.conf file if necessary.  It was automatically
generated by:
 Xorg -configure

Thanks in advance,
Mike