Dell 700m 1280x800

Andrew Marks amracks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:58:19 PDT 2005

On 3/30/05, Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak at ijs.si> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 of March 2005 20:32, Andrew Marks wrote:
> > Just got a blank screen with that one.  I installed i855vidctl, but
> > the video modes in the output are not correct.  I browsed throught the
> > source, and thougt if I could find  out how the video modes are stored
> > in the vbios, I could alter i855vidctl to work with my vbios, which it
> > doesn't seem to do right now.  I found some intel docs on the
> > 855GM/GME, (I have the GME) but I didn't find anything about the
> > layout of the vbios memory.  The reason I bring this up is because my
> > vbios does not have the 1280x800 mode in it, and I am not expert, but
> > I assume that that has to be in there before Xorg can take advantage
> > of that mode.  Correct me if I am wrong, but would the frist step be
> > to add the 1280x800 mode to my video bios somehow?  and if so, where
> > can I get the documentation for interfacing with my video bios.  If
> > not, and Xorg can use resolutions that are not in the video bios, what
> > do I have to do go get those to work?
>
> Unfortunately, yes: X can only do modes that video bios support. There are a
> couple of pages that talk about this problem with Intel graphics chips. I
> don't have Intel graphics so I haven't tried them. First thing you might try
> is to see if Dell has issued a bios upgrade - it appears that at least for
> some laptops BIOS upgrade included modes for video BIOS. And here are some
> links in no particular order:
> http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/
> http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/linux/fc1_intel_video_fix.htm
>

> Dejan

Great News!  I got my 1280x800 working,  I had to hack up the linux
855resolution 0.3 utility, and I used the i855vidctl code as a guide,
but in the end, I have 1280x800 .  When I get a chance I'll clean it
up and maybe submit a port or something, and if I don't, someone
bother me until I do. ( I am a lazy bastard)

-Andrew