unsupported video card

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 11:33:23 PDT 2005

On Monday, 18. April 2005 20:05, Nader de Sousa Amadeu wrote:

> When I startx, the twm or fvwm or fvwm2 start with the virtual window
> corresponding to the fisical one. It means if I go with the mouse against
> the edges the mouse stops or jumps to a next neighbour window.
>
> But if i open xv, just the starting window or the command window (left
> clicking the picture) are filling almost all the screen area. Not only the
> fonts appear bigger, but any X application (pics  ...), in the same
> proportion. It looks like a wrong resolution mode.

I have to admit I'm having trouble getting a clear image of what you're
describing.

> I am trying these ones
>
> Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>
> but seem not to work.

Are you sure you are actually getting 1024x768 out of the card with the vga
driver? Try using Driver "vesa" instead and see if that makes a difference.
If that doesn't help either, you should perhaps consider using different
hardware (it still baffles me that your card isn't supported by the s3
driver).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org