Where is XFree86 package in 5.3 release?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Nov 24 02:30:46 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:25:34PM +0000, I. Yusuff wrote:
> I have not found XFree86 port in 5.3 release ports archive for amd64. I
> have problems with Xorg so I would like to try using XFree86 instead, but
> I can't install it because it is not in the ports archive. FYI i'm using
> ATI radeon 9200, my PC just locks up completely after killing the X
> server.

Are you looking for ports or packages?  It is not clear from your
question.
If it is the ports you should find both XFree86 and Xorg in the ports
tree. (x11/XFree86-4 and x11/xorg respectively)

If it is the packages you are looking for I think you are out of luck.
Since Xorg is the default X variant on FreeBSD 5.3 all packages using X
are linked against and depend on the Xorg libraries.  I believe XFree86
is not even built as a package.

If you wish to use XFree86 you will have to compile it yourself via the
ports system, which should work fine - just remember to set
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4 in /etc/make.conf if you do this.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se