[kde-freebsd] X related scripts in Xclients ports

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Nov 15 04:57:46 PST 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 11:51, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi,
> after a time working with my xdm script (/etc/rc.d/0xdm) I think it's
> time to go send-pr

> Also noted that going to scripts (actual gdm and future xdm) can
> generate race conditions between init gettys and xdm.
>
> The safe option I found is use fixed vts with xdm Xserver (vt9), but I'm
> not sure how do that with gdm
>
> Any comments on this are welcome.

The only comment I have is why is this an improvement?

I really don't understand the point of all this.  kdm runs perfectly well out
of /etc/ttys, from the command line, and just about any other way you care to
run it.    So what's the use of this, other than complicating things?

Will you be providing all the user support for this stuff?  Will running kdm
the normal way still be supported?  How is doing this easier than changing
one simple line in ttys?

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts