Any reason why XFree86-4-Server pkg doesn't extract in-place?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Mar 26 12:53:47 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 21:14, Carl Mascott wrote:
> Is there some reason why the XFree86-4-Server port does not use
> @option extract-in-place?  Since there is no require file or
> pre-install script I see no reason why it could not extract in
> place.

A grep through the ports-collection shows me that there isn't any port which
sets @option. Perhaps this has just historical reasons, does anyone at know
more (ports@ and portmgr@ cc'd)?

> I bring this up because my systems all have small /var/tmp
> directories.  The first time I tried to install this package
> the installation failed with a message about needing 400,000
> <somethings> (unspecified; sectors? 1K blocks?) in /var/tmp.
> It would be nice not to need a large /var/tmp (or other
> temporary directory) for no good reason.

IMHO, wanting to install binary packages (there are much larger ones out there
than XFree86-Server) is a very good reason to have a large enough (/var/)tmp.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org