compiling XFree86 4.4.0

llewelly at xmission.com llewelly at xmission.com
Tue Mar 9 22:25:18 PST 2004

Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2 at HotPOP.com> writes:

> How would I go about compiling XFree86 4.4.0?

Did you read: http://xfree86.org/4.4.0/BUILD.html ?

After you are done there, read xc/xc/config/cf/host.def and
    /xc/xc/config/cf/site.def in the source directory.

The only fbsd-specific caveat I can think of is that by default 'make
    install' installs to /usr/X11R6, potentially overwriting the files
    installed by ports and or packages. I don't have enough experience
    with freebsd to know how serious a problem that might be.

I avoided that by #defining ProjectRoot in xc/xc/config/cf/host.def,
    and uncommenting '#define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES' and
    '#define EtcX11Directory ProjectRoot/etc' in
    xc/xc/config/cf/site.def .

The other obvious alternative would be to deinstall your existing xf86
    4.3.0 packages and/or ports before installed 4.4.0 from source. I
    didn't do this in part becase I didn't want to figure out what to do
    about all the packages which ddepend on those.