RFC: add text about freedesktop.org and related topics to FAQ

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jun 8 19:41:07 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 01:38 pm, you wrote:

> 'the most popular' kind of rubs me the wrong way.  Is there any
> proof that it is the most popular?

OK, I can settle for 'most widely installed on Open Source platforms'
or something.  Recommend something ...

> > +	    <ulink url="http://www.xfree86.org">The XFree86 Project,
> > +	    Inc.</ulink>  This software was installed by default on
> > +	    &os; versions up until 4.10 and 5.2.  Although X.org
>
> <hostname> tags please.  :)

I'm sorry, I don't see any existing use of <hostname> in any of
the articles or books, please advise expected use?

> <filename>fd.o</filename> ?

No, it's shorthand for freedesktop.org, as mentioned earlier in the
text.  But I think I should remove all references to it, it just confuses
everyone.

Otherwise, I can go ahead and do all that.  I did kind of rush it in
with insufficient review, but the question is getting asked about
every 3 days, maximum, and so _some_ text needed to go in.

mcl