problem with matrox + lcd

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Jul 28 01:39:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:06:21 +0800
"Roman Y. Bogdanov" <sam at brj.pp.ru> wrote:

>  Hello.
>
>   I have a question. Please sorry me for poor english.
>
>   I cannot connect my new LCD the monitor (Acer AL1731) to a videocard
>   matrox g550 on vga and dvi output. If I start x the monitor deduces the
>   message "sync is out of range 1280x1024x24hz".
>
>   DVI or VGA connector - doesnt matter.
>
>   I fully rewrote X config file, have a two night of googl'ing and man
>   reading. In lists of dispatch I have found as to solve my problem.
>   For this purpose I should register on my monitor exact vert. and
>   horiz. Hz. Well I have counted Hz a line:
>
>   (108.00*1000000)/(1688*1066)=60
>
>   Modeline        "1280x1024"  108.00  1280 1328 1440 1688  1024 1025
>   1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
>
>   Startx and got "sync is out of range 1280x1024x24hz". Hrr. )-;
>
>   In the morning I have found kan@ in IRC and we have talked to it about
>   my problem. It has told, that he with cards matrox does not have such
>   problem. By his advice I have tried turn off modules DRI and DCC is to
>   me not helped. After all it has told to me, that any more does not know
>   what to think and how to solve this problem.
>
>   Then I have thought, that a problem in the monitor. I have taken the
>   monitor of my wife for tests. Model: Acer Al1721. Has tried to connect
>   it to my videocard and too has not seen the image.
>
>   My OS: FreeBSD 5.2.1-p9 i386
>   Matrox card G550 Dual Head
>   Monitor: Acer AL1721 and Acer AL1731 (booth not work in 1280x1024)
>
>   Today during the lunchtime I absolutely was upset and have already
>   despaired to solve this problem. I have installed on a hard disk, from
>   mine freebsd panicbox, windows 2003 enterprice server. I'am download
>   last driver's from matrox site and get AL1731 and AL1721 working! hrr
>   )-;
>
>   I was disappointed and has despaired to adjust my new monitor through
>   matrox a card.
>
>   What can I do? I send together with the letter mine a broad log
>   files, kernel config and the configuration+version of xorg.
>
>   I continue googl'ing and I wait from you for any answer, a hint or a
>   way to solve this problem. Thanks beforehand.

hello roman,

what i have to propose is not necessarily a solution, but simply another
step in your troubleshooting.  from what i understand, xorg can usually
automatically detect hardware and make a working configuration.  all you
have to do is move (remove or rename) xorg.conf.  when xorg doesn't find
that file, the automatic detection takes over.  if you're lucky and x comes
up with the setting you want, you know that there was likely a problem with
your xorg.conf.

whatever happens, /var/log/Xorg.0.log should have some pretty detailed
analysis, given the various autodetection tests.  it may help you to work
backwards to try find the problem (or not even bother, if it works!  :)

as i say, this is only another step and most likely not a solution.
hopefully someone else will chime in with a more helpful suggestion.

good luck,
epi