blue term color in xorg (was: Re: HEADSUP: X.Org conversion)

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Sun Jul 25 12:13:22 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 02:45:40PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> It is my intent to criticise X11, for a number of reasons.  X11 is
> needlessly complex, has terrible usability from the end-user's perspective
> (normal people find the configuration, font selection, and so forth to be
> incomprehensible), for having poor documentation, and for a number of more
> technical reasons.

true (I said a lot of that in the late 80's).  Since it didn't go away,
I decided it should at least work properly.

> X11 could benefit from criticism.  To some extent, criticizing X11 means
> criticizing the work people have done on X11.  Some-- perhaps even most--
> of the significant problems I see with X11 have to do with the mindset of
> "needlessly complex answers to simple questions".
>
> Why did Apple choose not to use X11 as the window system for MacOS X?

I believe the answer to that is that they already had a lot of code of
their own which worked with the existing system.  (I've also read that
their internals aren't much to brag about either).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net