Installing xorg on AMD64 without_dri

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jul 15 11:25:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Maarten Sanders wrote:

> My plan is make install clean the xorg metaport. But, make install exits
> when trying to make and install dri becuase it won't compile on amd64.
> Now I have seen there is an 'knob' WITHOUT_DRI but how do I enable this?

You have to understand that you're working on the 'bleeding edge' right
here -- the patchset that Eric Anholt has worked up is only now being
tested on the ports build cluster.  When I tested the -1 version of the
patch, in order to make x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server, I had to set
BuildXF86DRI to NO and comment out the RUN_DEPENDS immediately above it.
Eric suggested in email to me that DRI would need further work for both
the XFree86-4.4 update and the current x.org ports.

> Other question: after this I want to apply the patch xorg-conv-1.diff
> and continue to install gnome/kde. Is this the right way to go?

He now has version xorg-conv-3.diff I believe.  See PR ports/68763.
(The changes are based partly on feedback that I provided from my own
regression test -- but that only covered XFree86-4.4 itself, and not
the apps that go with it.  AFAIK, no one has yet build all the apps
with all these changes yet.)

You should also know that you may well be the first person to be
testing these changes on amd64.  This is an area under very active
work right now.

I'm sorry that I can't be of much more help at the moment, but, to
use the colloquialism, you are actually out in front of the parade
at this point :-)

mcl