ports/67951: x11/XFree86-aoutlibs doesen't install properly

Internet Partners Inc. Support support at ipinc.net
Fri Jul 9 20:13:05 PDT 2004

Hmm, perhaps you didn't read the PR correctly?  The problem
isn't Netscape-specific.  Netscape was used as a convenient
example of an old FreeBSD binary.  Other examples of commercial
FreeBSD binaries could have been used as well, (ie: Billmax)
but wern't in order to make the PR more comprehendible to
the typical user that would be reading it.

Perhaps your just on an anti-old-Netscape crusade
because your own website logs are still showing the majority
of your site users haven't upgraded to the newer Netscape
versions and your just dying to use the animated gifs/flash/
midifiles/[insert latest stupid html geegaw here] that the newer
Netscape versions support? ;-)

Keep in mind that netscape 4.76 is a convenient "canary in
the coal mine".  If something associated with getting it
running is broken, then commercial FreeBSD applications that are
distributed binary-only and that were built using a.out
are going to be broken by that as well.

Anyway, as both the problem and fix (ie: don't install aout
libs in an xterm) are contained in the PR yes it should be
closed.  But it would also be responsible to insert a warning
in the aoutlib port Makefile telling the user not to install them
while X was running.  That is after all what the PR was about.

Ted