dependency fixing for xorg stuff

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Wed Jul 7 02:52:27 PDT 2004

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 10:04, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

[ fluxbox lines removed ]

>>>xorg-libraries provides libXrender just like XFree86-4-libraries does.
>>>USE_XLIB will cover it fine.  You may be thinking of the modular x
>>>effort, which is unfortunately still some time off before it'll be
>>>releasable for general use.  Because of that I'm not working on
>>>supporting it, for the moment.
>>
>>I have tested gcursor with xorg and it will fail compile because of
>>missing xrender.pc. I didn't check nor realized that if xorg-lib already
>>has libXrender, I just ammused that it needs libXrender so it's why I
>>asked and never gave the enough detail. However, Franz has gave the
>>perfect answer with bugzilla and etc of missing xrender.pc. Thanks! :-)
>>
>>Here's error of gcursor compile:
>>=========================================
>>checking for
>>         glib-2.0
>>         gobject-2.0
>>         gtk+-2.0
>>         gnome-vfs-2.0
>>         libgnomeui-2.0
>>         libglade-2.0
>>         gconf-2.0
>>         xcursor
>>         ... gnome-config: not found
>>gnome-config: not found
>>Package xrender was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>>Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xrender.pc'
>>to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>>Package 'xrender', required by 'Xcursor', not found
>>
>>configure: error: Library requirements (
>>         glib-2.0
>>         gobject-2.0
>>         gtk+-2.0
>>         gnome-vfs-2.0
>>         libgnomeui-2.0
>>         libglade-2.0
>>         gconf-2.0
>>         xcursor
>>         ) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
>>variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can
>>find them.
>>===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>>=========================================
>

> I can't reproduce this myself:
>
> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for
>         glib-2.0
>         gobject-2.0
>         gtk+-2.0
>         gnome-vfs-2.0
>         libgnomeui-2.0
>         libglade-2.0
>         gconf-2.0
>         xcursor
>         ... yes
> checking GCURSOR_CFLAGS... -D_REENTRANT -DORBIT2=1 -DXTHREADS
> -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0
> -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include/atk-1.0
> -I/usr/local/include/bonobo-activation-2.0
> -I/usr/local/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/local/include/li....
>
> Are you sure your gnome install isn't broken?  ("... gnome-config: not
> found")

guessing that gnome-config is some sort of fallback if xrender.pc will
not be found. after i applied the patch from xorg's bugzilla i didn't
see that error message again.

isn't it possible that you have some x11/libX*-ports (at least
libXrender) installed ... maybe?

my first idea was to install libXrender but then i've seen that
all the libraries will be still installed with xorg-libraries.
the only different was the missing xrender.pc.

and if i take a look into xcursor.pc i see the following:
Requires: xrender

therefor i think this i a xorg-libraries bug.

franz.