Using xorg instead of XFree86

pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 09:13:53 PDT 2004

--- Matthew Gardiner <kaiwai at vfemail.net> ha scritto:

> Its basically a full gone conclusion, look at the organisations supporting
> XFree86 vs. Xorg, look at the development tree's etc. etc. Xorg is moving
> forward whilst XFree86 has basically remained static.
>
> I think the bigger one will be the OpenGL accelerated Xserver being
> developed by Keith Packard.

I think this thread is going nowhere very fast... but anyways

X is arguably the most important application in any free OS distribution. IMHO
Linux distributors haven't been fully sponsoring XFree86 as a project as they
should, and now they complain because of a minimal change in the license of
code they didn't write.

X.org and XFree86 have existed in parallel for a LONG time, and the sponsorship
behind either project is still too small, compared to the importance of the
project and the type of money other organizations move.

It's just my opinion, from the outside, but just as other non-coders are so
eagerly pointing out that XFree86 seems lonely, I just take note that 1) it's
never been really crowded and 2) the grass is not very greener on the other
side.

That said, I don't really care about the X.org vs XFree86 debate. I'd just like
to see the XFree86 update committed and, if possible, both systems being well
supported on my favorite OS. If it's not easy to run either project, maybe it's
time to revaluate my OS preferrence and I'd really prefer not doing that ATM.

    Pedro.