Using xorg instead of XFree86

Vulpes Velox vvelox at vvelox.net
Fri Jul 2 01:33:26 PDT 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:36:56 +1000
Matthew Gardiner <kaiwai at vfemail.net> wrote:

> On 2/7/04 3:38 AM, "pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com"
> <pfgshield-pedro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> Not too sure, however, I think the whole idea of maintaining the
> >two is> rather stupid and the resources would be better spent
> >simply maintaining one> than trying to pander to those who wish to
> >use XFree86 4.4
> >
> > It might seem stupid (to you), but as long as there are maintainer
> > both will survive. That said AFAIK only one person has offered to
> > maintain XFree86 and no one has offered to maintain X.Org.
> >
> > At this stage FreeBSD 5.3 will still use XFree86 4.3 though :(.
>
> IIRC, isn't there a maintainer of Xorg? I mean, essentially Xorg and
> XFree86 4.4 are the same thing, why not just have the one?
>
> >> For all intensive purposes, Xorg has become the defacto standard
> >for X11> implementations; FreeBSD might as well go with the flow.
> >
> > Hmm... I would argue, from a license POV, that XFree86 can include
> > all the Xorg
> > enhancements in their distribution and might result being more
> > stable.. but well .... time will tell.
>
> But well all know how terrible XFree86 is when it comes to accepting
> new pieces, hence the reason the whole project split. Mr Alpha Coder
> shant let any of the riff-raft and unwashed masses submit their code
> to his beautiful XFree86 code! The chances of XFree86 adopting any
> code is almost equal to North Korea becoming a modern democracy over
> night; highly unlikely.

Don't see what the problem is... the problem is some ppl don't
understand there is a place for stuff like that... I am not saying
they did not screw up in place, but you should still give them some
credit...

> Ultimately XFree86 made their bed, they kicked everyone out and now
> they wonder why they're as popular as SCO in the OSS community.

Actually it just appears to be some ppl in the linux community that
are just ticked about it...

I'll personally wait and see how it goes. I personally doubt any real
clear winner comes out from etiher side and this pointless bickering
will be continued by ppl with nothing better to do...