[XFree86] Radeon 9200 256MB Produces Garbled Screen With CVS Version Of XFree86

Marco Trentini mark at remotelab.org
Sat Jan 24 05:43:30 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 04:19:42PM -0800, auto68980 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Should this be cc'd to the list?

Yes ... done.

> >Two things:
> >
> >1)How did you build the XFree86 taken from CVS?
>
> I checked it out:
>
> CVS_RSH=ssh
> CVSROOT=anoncvs at anoncvs.xfree86.org:/cvs
> export CVS_RSH CVSROOT
> checkout xc
>
> I read the instructions and compiled it like this:
>
> cd xc
> make World
> make install
> make install.man

Without any patches?

As you can see in the file directory of the XFree86-4-Server port there
are a lot of patches to apply before to compile the sources.  IMO it is
not as easy to compile XFree86 under FreeBSD.

> >2)Have you tried the XFree86 -configure command to auto-generate
> >the
> >configuration file?
>
> Yes, it says:
>
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:0:1)
> found
>
> but this is the secondary device on the card, right?

Use scanpci(1) to find your card.

> (EE) RADEON(0): V_BIOS address 0x0 out of range
>
> OK, so this memory address looks somewhat suspicious, but I don't know
> much about video memory, it could start at 0x0 couldn't it? Or does FreeBSD
> map all memory as one flat memory including the video memory?

This could be a patch problem.

> >I think your card will be completely supported in the imminent new
> >XFree86 relese as you can see here
> >http://www.xfree86.org/snapshot/radeon.4.html
>
> I hope so, I mean, they shouldn't really claim that it is supported if
> it isn't should they? But I suppose this doesn't apply to the CVS version,
>  only the official release. So hopefully it will work.

The your assumption is right ... that is a snapshot version :)

Wait the release.

Marco Trentini                mark at remotelab.org
http://www.remotelab.org/