[XFree86] Radeon 9200 256MB Produces Garbled Screen With CVS Version Of XFree86

auto68980 at hushmail.com auto68980 at hushmail.com
Fri Jan 23 03:24:53 PST 2004

On FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE, XFree86 4.3.99.902 was checked out from CVS on

17/01/04 and compiled. The hardware is described in more detail in the

attached files, but basically I'm using an ATI Radeon 9200 8x with 256MB
RAM, on a motherboard for AMD chipsets, which has nvidea bridges.

With the version of XFree86 that ships with FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE, the

machine would hang if I tried to use the radeon driver and manually
specify a ChipID in the appropriate Device section. The VESA driver works,
 but the refresh rate is unusable, and would be a waste of this card's
capacity.

After installing the latest version of XFree86, the machine would no

longer hang, but was subject to a different problem; upon issuing the

command xinit, X would load, but the display showed the canonical
messed up graphics screen, i.e "all the colours of the rainbow". I was

able to exit X by moving the mouse, which could still be seen, to the

default xterm that is opened in the top left hand corner, and then typing
exit.

If one tried to switch to another console using CTRL-ALT-F1 for example,
 the screen remained garbled. I tried just about every possible ChipID
that might work, see attached XF86Config file for details, but exactly
the same thing happened.

I typed in:

glxinfo > My.glxinfo

At the invisible xterm when the screen was garbled, and upon subsequent
examination, it showed that direct rendering was enabled.

So basically I am now stymied, I tried everything within my knowledge,

and more. I've tried searching everywhere. I noticed that quite a few

other people had similar problems, and it seems that under RedHat 9,

changing the ChipID works, but of course, I'm not using RH9, or anything
like that.

As you can imagine, this is marginally annoying and dissapointing, as

I only just got this machine. I should have checked that the card was

supported BEFORE I bought it, but I assumed that radeon would be supported
 since my other machines run FreeBSD and radeon.

The PCI entries for Radeon 9200 were missing from /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors,
 but adding them to it didn't make any difference. But not knowing what
that file is for anyway, I wouldn't know whether they were supposed to.

Anyway, if anyone can help me try and get this card working, I would

greatly appreciate your help. If I can't get it working, then I regret

that I will have to sell the card and by a different one. Ideally however,
 I would like to use this card as it has a nice 256MB Ram, and was good
value for money.

Or, if this card is dead, and is unlikely to be supported in the near
futur. Can anyone recommend a good substitute that will work on FreeBSD?

Regards

0X

P.S: I've already sent a very similar message to XFree86 at Xfree86.org,
 but nobody responded, it seems as though that mailing list is inundated
with newbies with XF86Config problems, which probably takes up most the
time.