xorg/xfree on intel 865G (HP evo d530)

squigly at flashmail.com squigly at flashmail.com
Sat Dec 11 01:12:35 PST 2004

Actually, it gets worse.  A lot of i8xx bioses are buggy, so
that you
get limited to 1MB of video memory instead of 8MB, as far as
the bios's
mode selection is concerned.  I don't know if your specific
chipset is
susceptible, but you might check.  With various hacks
floating around
the net you can whack the bios into thinking it has the
correct amount
of video memory.  With luck that'll get integrated into
X.Org at some
point, but nobody's done the work yet, that I know of.

----

Yep, I've stumbled upon some threads regarding the buggy 865
(specificly with dell, not HP, but I guess it's quite
similar).

the bizzar thing is that dmesg does state an 8Mb ram, it
should give me plenty of room to play, but nothing (no
res/depth combination) seems to work.

I'm guessing throwing in a cheap 16Mb video card should
bypass the problem, but it seems like quiting.

I'll try updating BIOS version and see where I can get.

can you point me to specific BSD patch for this issue?